Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Mei Marom Vayikra 30:3

Why are there divergent minhagim regarding saying laomer or baomer? Rabbi Yaakov Moshe Charlop compares the difference to the counting for a nidah versus the counting for a zavah. Niddah, you count every day as the tumah leaves and after seven days they are tahor, and zavah you count every day one becomes more tahor, bit by bit.
The phrase Baomer (corresponding to nidah) means the lessenning of the tumah, slowly, whereas the phrase laomer (corresponding tozavah) means the entry of purity into the person's life.

1 comment:

DixieYid (يهودي جنوبي) said...

That reminds me of something I heard in a shiur which I wrote about in the following link:

http://dixieyid.blogspot.com/2007/04/maaseh-re-ohev-yisroel-and-adding.html

I wish I had a Mei Marom on Vayikra. I've only got it on the Hagada.

-Dixie Yid